One of the scene descriptions that has popped up online involves Rey and Luke vs. Kylo and The Knights of Ren. The description is not totally inaccurate but there are some key details that are off. The scene was apparently pieced together by some set photos or something so I can see how what actually goes down got lost in translation. Let’s straighten this out shall we?
- Luke Skywalker and Rey are on Ahch-To just before nightfall as the sun sets in the background and it starts to rain.
– This is correct however it was mentioned that this takes place early in the film. This is false. I am confident this scene appears in act 3. I understand why they thought it was in the beginning and I will get to why in a little bit.
- Kylo Ren and the Knights of Ren turn up along the coast.
– They do indeed turn up but with a bit of style. I’ve been told Kylo and the knights arrive in 3 ships. Kylo’s shuttle and two smaller ships. This will not be the first we have seen of the Knights in the film either.
- Kylo does not wear the mask here.
– He wears the mask until he and the knights are standing before Luke and Rey and he then removes it for their conversation.
- Kylo has the same cross guard saber as he did in VII.
- Kylo’s costume looked the same as in VII.
– 100% correct. I know people have questioned what happened at the end of that battle in TFA. The same prop was definitely used. His costume/mask are 1:1 also.
- Rey and Kylo Ren duel one-on-one and end up fighting along the cliff face overlooking the nighttime water.
– I’m told Luke actually suggests this to Rey. Something along the lines of “keep him busy while I handle them” No that isn’t the real line. I don’t know what the real line is I’m just telling you it’s a scenario like that. Luke has something in mind.
- The first black knight has an axe and moves towards Luke but is Force pushed away to his death after being thrown through the air.
– There was a great deal of stunt work done for this. Several shoots using wires so Force pushes and aerial moves are very likely.
- After Luke dispatches the first Knight he ignites his green lightsaber.
– Dispatches? yes. Kills? not so sure.
- Luke moves through each Knight one-by-one.
– I am told Luke does handle the Knights without too much trouble but it is VERY UNLIKELY that ALL OF THEM are killed. I will get to this in a moment as well.
- Rey and Kylo’s battle moves up to the side of a cliff.
- Suddenly is Rey nowhere to be seen. She’s taken out of the battle; she’s either wounded or appears to go over the side of the cliff.
– Yes. Suddenly unseen? She is knocked back and off the cliff by an acrobatic wire involved move executed by Kylo. Rey is left hanging on for life a bit down the cliff. Dangling. Obviously the dangling part would have been filmed at the studio for safety reasons.
- Luke Skywalker casually walks towards Kylo to finish him but Kylo retreats when he sees his crew defeated.
– Luke appears almost out of nowhere behind Kylo who is caught of guard. Kylo has no time to realize what is happening before Luke puts him on the ground. Shots after this had Ridley laying on the ground back up in the area where Kylo and Luke are. Flux assumes that Luke uses some type of force move to quickly pull her back to safety.
Let me explain why some of these things were a bit off. The confusion with the scene’s placement in the film is understandable because according to General Flux, some of this scene appears to Rey in a vision early in the film while in a sort of mental training session with Luke. Empire Strikes Back callback anyone? As for the knights, I strongly believe some of the knights survive Luke’s attack because I’m told Kylo himself kills the remaining members. Confused? Both myself and my source are too.Perhaps he kills them in another one of his uncontrollable tantrums in part for the failure that takes place in this scene and possibly in an attempt to resist whatever Luke is saying/doing at the end of the battle? Does Kylo attempt to show Luke he is no doubt as twisted and committed to the dark side as possible? These details were clear. Remember hearing VIII was dark? Check that box.